In this tutorial we will show you how to upgrade your Ubuntu 15.04 system to the latest Ubuntu 15.10 that just has been released (i.e on 22nd October 2015) and its support will be going to end after six to seven months from now.
The new Ubuntu 15.10 comes with many updated packages and improved performance. If you want to complete the installation of Ubuntu 15.10 from scratch, then you can check our guide here:
Ubuntu 15.10 Desktop Installation Guide
The upgrade procedure is fairly easy, just as any other Ubuntu version. There are two ways to upgrade from Ubuntu 15.04 to Ubuntu 15.10, the one using a GUI method and the other from the command line way, we’ll explain only GUI method in this article.
Warning: We highly recommend you to make a backup of your important files before going for a upgrade process, and also read Ubuntu 15.10 release notes for more information before upgrading to latest version.
Upgrading Ubuntu 15.04 to 15.10
1. First step is to update our update-manager settings, so that our system be able to locate new available releases.
To start the procedure go to Unity Dash -> Software Update:
2. Once you click on Software Update, it will show you list of updates are available for this computer, make sure to install them and Restart the computer after installing updates.
Note: This step is crucial only if updates are available, or you can skip if there isn’t any updates shown.
3. Now reload the “Software Updater” and select the third tab called “Updates” and select to be notified about new updates: let it check for new updates. It should detect that your software is up to date, but that there is a new Ubuntu version available:
4. Click the “Upgrade” button when ready. Type your sudo user’s password and you will be asked to review the release notes for the new version:
5. When ready, click the “Upgrade” button once more. Now you only need for the distribution upgrade to finish:
6. Remember not to turn off or reboot your computer while the upgrade continues. When the process is complete, you will be asked to reboot your system, so you can login your upgraded Ubuntu installation:
7. After the restart, you check your system info and verify that the upgrade was successful:
Congratulations! You are now running Ubuntu 15.10! If you don’t know where to go from here, you should follow our things to do extensive guide below:
27 Things to Do After Ubuntu 15.10 Installation